Individuals seeking a second opinion at NUH will be required to prepare the following documents:
- Slides and blocks
- Histopathology report
- A cover letter from your doctor (including the clinic address) requesting for a second opinion report
- A bank draft payment in Singapore dollars (SGD) for the second opinion fees & miscellaneous charges made out to National University Hospital (S) Pte Ltd
- The range of fees (from basic fee of S$315 to S$1600 if additional testing is required)
For more information, please contact us at +65 6772 4029 or +65 6772 6349.
The histopathology section offers a comprehensive range of diagnostic services that encompass a wide variety of diseases and systemic pathology. The scope of services includes the following:
- Routine and specialised surgical pathology work
- Intra-operative / frozen section consultation
- Special investigations for renal biopsy, muscle biopsy, skin biopsy, nerve biopsy and liver biopsy
- Expert consultation for sub-specialty
- Electron microscopy for renal, muscle and skin biopsies
- Transplant pathology service (including liver and renal transplant pathology)
- A comprehensive range of histochemical stains
We offer histopathological consultation and a range of ancillary tests for neuropathology cases. In addition, in collaboration with Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, KKH, we offer a seamless request platform for all the ancillary tests for CNS tumours performed in both NUH and KKH.
For details on what we offer and how to use this service, please download this PDF.
Biomarkers and Molecular Pathology Tests for CNS tumours.pdf
Back to Top
This section provides a comprehensive range of immunohistochemical services. The recent acquisition of additional automated immunostainers has further expanded our diagnostic and research services providing fast, quality and standardised results.
- Immunoflourescence: Direct immunoflourescence is offered for skin and renal biopsies
- Muscle enzyme histochemical stain: Standard panel of stains are provided for fresh muscle biopsy
- Immunohistochemistry: We have over 150 antibodies that are utilised for diagnosis and prognosis of many tumours and disease conditions
Back to Top
This section provides cytopathology services in the following areas:
- Gynaecological Cytology: Over 5,000 cervical samples (conventional or liquid-based) are received for screening and diagnosis every year. We also provide HPV testing.
- Non-Gynaecological Cytology: Over 4,000 of these samples are received every year to diagnose tumours or neoplasms, to detect pathogenic agents (e.g. infection) and certain material (e.g. uric crystals). These include body cavity fluids, and washings and brushings from various parts of the body. Ancillary tests such as immunocytochemistry, cell block preparation, molecular markers, flow cytometry and various special stains can be performed on these samples to enhance the sensitivity and accuracy of the investigation.
- Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) Service: FNA is a quick, minimally invasive test to aspirate diagnostic material from a tumour or lesion. It is an effective and rapid test in determining adequacy of sampling and therefore, providing early preliminary results. It is also extremely useful in the diagnosis and treatment of cysts. The laboratory processes over 2,000 FNA samples annually.
Diagnostic Molecular Oncology Centre
The Molecular Diagnostic Oncology Centre (DMOC) is a laboratory accredited by the College of American Pathologists, which focuses on the molecular diagnostics of solid tumours. It specialises in tissue-based molecular diagnosis, offering expertise in integrating tissue morphology, immunohistochemistry, hybridisation techniques and PCR-based technology.
DMOC started its operation in late 2007 and, since then, has become a key laboratory for oncology molecular testing in Asia. It tailors to the concept of personalised medicine and offers an array of tests designed to aid in the diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of different cancer types. With a current volume of more than 2,500 samples per year, DMOC receives cases from both local public and private hospitals as well as from overseas institutions. It has also assisted pharmaceutical companies in the development of high-quality molecular testing in the area of personalised / therapeutic medicine, and has been the reference laboratory for clinical trials sponsored by the industry.
Further information on the range of tests offered, requirements for sample submission, turnaround time and costing, can be requested from DMOC. Please refer to "Contact Us" for details.
Back to Top