We manage Level III newborn intensive care and special care wards with equipment and specialised manpower for non-invasive respiratory support, conventional and high frequency oscillatory ventilation, and inhaled nitric oxide. We provide continuous brain wave monitoring (aEEG) and therapeutic hypothermia for brain-injured newborns. We perform bedside ultrasound scans of the brain and heart. We care for babies with congenital anomalies such as congenital heart diseases, gastro-intestinal malformations, anomalies of brain and spinal cord, and provide post-operative care.
We have well-baby nurseries in two postnatal wards. Newborns with jaundice undergo phototherapy and well babies receive their vaccinations and physical checks here. Our doctors perform newborn physical screening, communicate with and help parents adjust to their new roles.
We advocate a family-centered approach with involvement of parents in the care of their newborn. We strongly encourage mothers to keep their newborns at the bedside to facilitate breastfeeding and bonding. We have lactation consultants to answer your breastfeeding enquiries.
Our services include:
- Pre-delivery counselling for high-risk pregnancies
- Attendance at high-risk deliveries
- Newborn resuscitation and stabilisation
- Neonatal intensive care
- Neonatal special care
- Well-baby nursery care
- Stand-by at delivery
- Screening for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency, congenital hypothyroidism and metabolic disorders
- Universal screening of hearing impairment with otoacoustic emission (OAE) and automated auditory brainstem response (AABR)
- Bereavement and palliative care support to terminally ill neonatal patients under our care and their families
We provide follow-up consultations for newborns who require specialist care, as well as healthy infants and toddlers. This includes monitoring nutrition, growth and development, administering vaccinations and providing parents with anticipatory advice. We also manage many conditions that are seen by general paediatricians.
Our multidisciplinary team also cares for high-risk babies who are discharged from the Neonatal Intensive and Special Care Units.
We act as primary provider for many complex neonatal and paediatrics conditions such as congenital heart diseases, respiratory disorders, neurodevelopmental abnormalities, gastro-intestinal malformations and genitourinary defects. Often, these conditions are co-managed with paediatricians of different specialties.
Some of the services we provide are:
- Feeding and nutritional assessment
- Breastfeeding support
- Newborn jaundice follow-up
- Routine and special immunisations
- Developmental assessment
- Specialist non-emergency consult for children under our care
For premature and developmentally at-risk newborns, the services we provide are:
- Long-term growth and developmental follow-up
- Multidisciplinary interventional programme
- Referral to early developmental interventional programme, when required
Our clinics are located at the Khoo Teck Puat – National University Children’s Medical Institute.