The common types of extremities and pelvic injuries are mangled limbs, bone fractures and damaged blood vessels.
1) Mangled limbs are caused by a crush impact from a heavy object, which leads to severe injuries to the skin, blood vessels, nerves and bones of the limbs.
2) A bone fracture refers to the broken bone of the limbs. Fractures can be closed or open in which there is an open wound at the site of the fracture. Pelvic fractures can also occur with separation of the pubic bones (pubis symphysis diastasis), which causes pelvic deformity.
3) There are two types of damaged blood vessels:
- Laceration or incomplete tear of the vessel
- Transection or complete tear of the vessel, which can cause massive bleeding