Professor Loh graduated from University College London Medical School and completed his internal medicine, anaesthesia, and intensive care training in Liverpool. He is dually accredited in Intensive Care Medicine and Anaesthesia. Prof Loh is a Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists, a Fellow of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine and holds the European Diploma in Intensive Care. He completed his research fellowship at the Institute of Ageing, University of Liverpool in nutrition in the critically ill. He is also a member of the Neuro-Intensive Care and the Systemic Inflammation group of the European Society of Intensive Care. Before moving to Singapore, he was a consultant and chair of the Intensive Care Unit at one of the largest neuroscience hospitals in the United Kingdom, The Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery.
Dr Loh is an Adjunct Associate Professor, Research Director and Senior Consultant in the Department of Anaesthesia and the Division of Critical Care, National University Hospital. The focus of Will’s research centres on improving outcomes for patients following major surgery and critical illness through developing translational models, focussing on modulating inflammation and ageing. Dr Loh’s other areas of research interests include; resuscitation, septic shock, post-critical illness rehabilitation.
His other interests are in anaesthesia for functional brain surgery and neurological critical care, where he underwent extensive training in the UK, University Hospital of Montpellier, France and Humanitas Research Hospital, Milan, Italy.
Professor Loh is also the Associate Chairman Medical Board at the National University Hospital.
1. Yip, C.Y., Yap, E.S., Mel, S.D., Teo, W.Z., Lee, C.‐T., Kan, S., Lee, C.C.M., Loh, W.N., Lim, E.L. and Lee, S.Y. Temporal Changes in Immune Blood Cell Parameters in COVID‐19 Infection and Recovery from Severe Infection. Br J Haematol. (2020) doi:10.1111/bjh.16847
2. Loh NHW, Tan Y, Taculod J, et al. The impact of high-flow nasal cannula (HFNC) on coughing distance: implications on its use during the novel coronavirus disease outbreak. Can J Anesth Can d’anesthésie. 2020. doi:10.1007/s12630-020-01634-3
3. Goh EZZ, Loh NHW, Loh JSP. Submental intubation in oral and maxillofacial surgery: a systematic review 1986–2018. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020;58(1):43-50. doi:10.1016/j.bjoms.2019.10.314
4. C Teo, D Satoer, H Chan, M Rossi,T Yeo, E Guo, NHW Loh, E Witte, K Teo. Language Localization in Multilingual Patients—Evidence From Direct Electrical Stimulation: A Systematic Review and Single Institution Case Series. Neurosurgery 2019;66(1):2019.
5. HH Chan, WNH Loh,TT Yeo, K Teo. Awake Craniotomy and Excision of A Diffuse Low-Grade Glioma in a Multilingual Patient - Neuropsychology and Language. World Neurosurgery. 128: 91-97, Aug 2019
6. Tan Y, Loganathan N, Thinn K, Liu HCE, Loh NHW. Dental trauma in Anaesthesia. A tertiary hospital experience. BMC Anesthesiology. 18:108. 16 Aug 2018
7. Loh NHW and Tan J. Intubation With Video Laryngoscopy vs Direct Laryngoscopy. JAMA. 2017;317(20):2129-2130
8. Lee et al. Factors associated with reintubation in an intensive care unit: A prospective observational study. Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine 21(3):131 · January 2017
9. Loh et al. Inadvertent spinal injection of ondansetron. Journal of Anesthesia. 2016 Dec;30(6):1071-1073
10. Liu et al. Potential rapid solutions to maintain ventilation in the event of anaesthesia machine failure with no access to the patient's airway. Anaesthesia and intensive care 44(3):376-381 · May 2016
11. Kingston E and Loh NHW. Use of capnography may cause airway complications in intensive care. British Journal of Anaesthesia 112(2):388-9 · February 2014
12. Loh NHW and Nair P. Propofol infusion syndrome. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain (2013) 13 (6): 200-202
13. Snell et al. Clinical review: The critical care management of the burn patient. Critical Care 17(5):241 · October 2013
14. Cliff D, Loh NHW. Emergency transfer of patients into a neurosurgical intensive care unit. Anaesthesia. Vol 67 (s2) Oct 2012. Pg 40
15. Srinivasaiah et al. Use of Airway Pressure Release Ventilation (APRV) in Neuro Critical Care. European Journal of Anaesthesiology. Vol 29: S10 Feb 2012
16. Loh NHW. Use of intravenous lipids in clinical toxicology. BMJ 2011. Vol 342 p671
17. Loh NHW, O’Driscoll T. Fluid Resuscitation in Burns. Intensive Care Medicine. 2010. Vol 26(2) s139
1. Ng ESH and Loh NHW. Immunonutrition. Chapter 49, Neurointensive Care. Oxford University Press 2019.
2. T Mahambrey, E England and W Loh. Management of Major Burns on the Intensive Care Unit. Chapter 3, Case Studies in Adult Intensive Care Medicine. Cambridge University Press. 2017
3. Masterson et al. Guidelines for the Provision of Intensive Care Services. Intensive Care Society, UK 2015. https://www.ics.ac.uk/ICS/guidelines-and-standards.aspx
4. NHW Loh and R Griffiths. The curse of underfeeding and the blight of overfeeding. The Yearbook of Intensive Care. 2009