A/Prof Ng Kar Hui obtained her Master of Medicine (Paediatrics) and has been a member of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (UK). She is accredited as a specialist in Paediatric Medicine and Paediatric Nephrology by the Ministry of Health, Singapore.
Dr Ng's clinical practice involves all areas of paediatric nephrology, including dialysis and kidney transplantation. Besides her special interest in genetic kidney disease, she currently also leads the paediatric dialysis service and the Fetal Kidney Clinic in NUH. In addition, she has written several book chapters and has been invited to lecture at various overseas medical congresses. Being an Education Ambassador in the International Society of Nephrology, she frequently travels to the less privileged communities in Asia to teach paediatric nephrology to doctors. Dr Ng also enjoys teaching paediatrics to medical students and young doctors and has received the NUS Faculty Teaching Excellence Award twice.
Dr Ng's research interests are in: Genetic Glomerular Disease in Childhood, Patho-mechanism of Nephrotic Syndrome and Cardiovascular Diseases in Paediatric Chronic Kidney Disease. She pursued a two-year research fellowship in Paediatric Nephrology at Children's Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School after receiving the National Medical Research Council Fellowship. Upon her return, she pioneered the research programme on genetics of kidney diseases in Singapore. She has started the collaborative network DRAGoN (Deciphering Diversities: Renal Asian Genetics Network) to study this across South Asia. She was the Principal Investigator for national competitive research grants. She has published many papers in her field in the medical literature and has been invited to review research manuscripts in several medical journals.
1. Gunasekara WD, Ng KH, Chan YH, Aragon E, Foong PP, Lau YW, . . . Yap HK (2010). Specialist pediatric dialysis nursing improves outcomes in children on chronic peritoneal dialysis. Pediatric Nephrology (Berlin, Germany), 25(10):2141-7. doi: 10.1007/s00467-010-1581-3
2. Sathe KP, Yeo WS, Liu ID, Ekambaram S, Azar M, Yap HK, Ng KH (2015). Recurrent white thrombi formation in hemodialysis tubing: a case report. BMC Nephrology, 16:3. doi: 10.1186/1471-2369-16-3
3. Sun ZJ, Ng KH, Liao P, Zhang Y, Ng JL, Liu ID, . . . Yap HK (2015). Genetic Interactions Between TRPC6 and NPHS1 Variants Affect Posttransplant Risk of Recurrent Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis. American Journal of Transplantation : Official Journal of the American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons, 15(12):3229-38. doi: 10.1111/ajt.13378
4. Chaturvedi S, Ng KH, Mammen C. The path to chronic kidney disease following acute kidney injury: a neonatal perspective. Pediatric Nephrology (Berlin, Germany), 32(2):227-241. doi: 10.1007/s00467-015-3298-9
5. Chan CY, Ng KH, Chen J, Lu J, Lee CG, Tan PH, …Yap HK (2016). Novel role of Vav1-Rac1 pathway in actin cytoskeleton regulation in Interleukin-13-induced minimal change-like nephropathy. Clinical Science (London, England : 1979). doi:10.1042/CS20160312.
6. Ng KH, Zhang SL, Tan HC, Kwek SS, Sessions OM, Chan CY, Liu ID, Lee CK, Tambyah PA, Ooi EE, Yap HK. Persistent Dengue Infection in an Immunosuppressed Patient Reveals the Roles of Humoral and Cellular Immune Responses in Virus Clearance. Cell Host Microbe. 2019 Nov 13;26(5):601-605.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.chom.2019.10.005. Epub 2019 Oct 29.
7. Sharon Teo, Tin Wei Yuen, Clarissa Wei-Shuen Cheong, … Hui-Kim Yap, Kar-Hui Ng. Structured Re-training to Reduce Peritonitis in a Pediatric Peritoneal Dialysis Program: A Quality Improvement Intervention. Paediatric Nephrology, 2021, in press