Dr Dan Yock Young obtained his basic medical degree (MBBS) from the National University of Singapore in 1994. He went on to complete his basic specialty training and obtained a Master of Internal Medicine (MMED S'pore) and membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the UK, MRCP (UK) in 1998. He obtained his Gastroenterology fellowship from the Academy of Medicine, Singapore (FAMS S'pore) in 2003. From 2003 to 2005, Dr Dan was awarded the A*STAR International Fellowship and he spent 2 years at the University of Washington researching liver stem cells and liver regeneration. This work subsequently led to him being awarded a PhD from NUS in 2010.
He has vast clinical interests in hepatology which includes viral hepatitis B and C, liver transplantation and liver cirrhosis. He is a clinician scientist and his interests include the cost-effectiveness of clinical treatments, liver progenitor cells and their therapeutic applications, as well as pathogenesis and treatment targets in liver failure.
1. Angeline Lo, Vincent Wong, Grace Wong, Henry Chan, Yock-Young Dan. Cost Effectiveness of Response-guided Therapy with Peginterferon in Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis B Clincal Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2014 (In Press)
2. YY Dan, JB Wong, SS Hamid, KH Han, JD Jia, CJ Liu, T Piratvisuth, ASF Lok, SG Lim. Consensus cost-effectiveness model for treatment of chronic hepatitis B in Asia Pacific countries. Hepatology International 2014 (In Press)
3. Tan CY, Lai RC, Wong W, Dan YY, Lim SK, Ho HK. Mesenchymal stem cell-derived exosomes promote hepatic regeneration in drug-induced liver injury models. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2014 Jun 10;5(3):76. PMID: 24915963 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
4. Dan YY, Lim SG. Commentary: vitamin D deficiency and liver cancer - cause, effect or myth?Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014 Jun;39(12):1429. doi: 10.1111/apt.12768.
5. Dan YY, Clinical Uses of Liver Stem Cells. Methods in Molecular Biology. 826. No1 (2012):11-23.
6. Yong KJ, Gao C, Lim JS, Yan B, Yang H, Dimitrov T, Kawasaki A, Ong CW, WongKF, Lee S, Ravikumar S, Srivastava S, Tian X, Poon RT, Fan ST, Luk JM, Dan YY, Salto-Tellez M, Chai L, Tenen DG. Oncofetal gene SALL4 in aggressive hepatocellular carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2013 Jun 13;368(24):2266-76. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1300297. PubMed PMID: 23758232; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3781214.
7. Dan YY. Clinical uses of liver stem cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2012;826:11-23. doi: 10.1007/978-1-61779-468-1_2. Review. PubMed PMID: 22167636.
8. Dan YY, Chuah BY, Koh DC, Yeoh KG. Screening based on risk for colorectal cancer is the most cost-effective approach. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012 Mar;10(3):266-71.e1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2011.11.011. Epub 2011 Nov 16. PubMed PMID: 22100624.
9. Dan YY, Tambyah PA, Sim J, Lim J, Hsu LY, Chow WL, Fisher DA, Wong YS, Ho KY.Cost-effectiveness analysis of hospital infection control response to an epidemic respiratory virus threat. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009 Dec;15(12):1909-16. doi: 10.3201/eid1512.090902. PubMed PMID: 19961669; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3044543.
10. Dan YY, Riehle KJ, Lazaro C, Teoh N, Haque J, Campbell JS, Fausto N.Isolation of multipotent progenitor cells from human fetal liver capable of differentiating into liver and mesenchymal lineages. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Jun 27;103(26):9912-7. Epub 2006 Jun 16. PubMed PMID: 16782807; PubMedCentral PMCID: PMC1502553.