Professor Fisher completed his specialist training in Infectious Diseases (ID) through the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in 1992. Most of his training was at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney. After more than a decade's work at Royal Darwin Hospital in ID and General internal medicine, he moved to Singapore in 2003.
While most of his work is as an ID physician, he has maintained strong ties with "general medicine" as a clinician and a teacher. He is Group Chief of Medicine for NUHS.
He has around 200 publications in the peer reviewed literature and given 100 plenary and invited presentations at scientific meetings.
In Feb 2020 he was a member of the WHO technical mission to China to investigate aspects of the novel corona virus disease subsequently named COVID-19.
Positions outside of NUHS:
- Chair of National Infection Prevention and Control (NIPC) Committee
- Chair of the Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network (GOARN) steering committee
1. MacLaren G, Fisher D, Brodie D. Preparing for the Most Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19; The Potential Role of Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. JAMA. 2020 Apr 7;323(13):1245-1246
2. Dale Fisher & David Heymann. Q&A: The novel coronavirus outbreak causing COVID-19 BMC Med 2020; 18: 57.
3. Bagdasarian N, Fisher D. Heterogenous COVID-19 Transmission Dynamics within Singapore; a clearer picture of future national responses BMC Med. (2020) 18:164
4. Dale Fisher, Annelies Wilder-Smith. The global community needs to swiftly ramp up the response to contain COVID-19. Lancet 2020 4-10 April; 395(10230): 1109–1110. March 18 2020
5. Sophia Archuleta, Gail Cross, Jyoti Somani…. Natasha Bagdasarian & Dale A. Fisher. Responding to COVID-19: how an academic infectious diseases division mobilized in Singapore BMC Med (2020) 18:179
6. Dale Fisher, Yik Ying Teo, David Nabarro. Assessing national performance in response to COVID-19. Lancet 2020 5-11 Sept; 396(10252): 653–655.
7. Dale A Fisher, Gail Carson, on behalf of the GOARN Steering Committee. Back to basics: the outbreak response pillars. Lancet 2020 29 August-4 September; 396(10251): 598.
8. Alexander W. Gorny, Natasha Bagdasarian, Azriel Koh Hong Kiat…….. Kenneth Mak, Dale Fisher. SARS-CoV-2 in Migrant Worker Dormitories: Geospatial Epidemiology Supporting Outbreak Management. Int J Infect Dis. 2021 Feb;103:389-394.
9. Brandon X. Lum, Eugene H. Liu, Sophia Archuleta….. Swee Chye Quek, Dale A. Fisher. Establishing a New Normal for Hospital Care: A Whole of Hospital Approach to COVID-19. Clin Infect Dis 2020 Nov 12:ciaa1722. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciaa1722. Online ahead of print
10. Ciléin Kearns, Dale Fisher,Yap Seng Chong The infective nurture of pandemic comics Lancet Published Online. December 10, 2020