Professor of Medicine, National University of Singapore
Prof Lim Pin earned his undergraduate medical degree from Cambridge University, England, in 1963. He was Registrar in the Diabetic Department, King’s College Hospital, London in 1965. He specialised in internal medicine in Singapore General Hospital and was admitted a member of the Royal College of Physicians of London in 1965. While practising as Consultant and Senior Consultant in the Division of Endocrinology in NUH, in 1970, he received his thesis degree (Doctorate in medicine) from Cambridge and was elected Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in 1976. In 1978, he obtained full professorship and became Head of the Department of Medicine, National University of Singapore.
He currently holds the appointment of Emeritus Consultant in the Division of Endocrinology in NUH and Professor of Medicine in NUS.
His research specialties are calcium magnesium and bone metabolism, thyroid diseases, and fuel metabolism in diabetes.
- Thyroid Disorders
- Weight Disorders
Awards & Honours
- Queen’s Scholar,1957
- Republic of Singapore Public Administration Medal (Gold), 1984
- Republic of Singapore Meritorious Service Medal, 1990
- Republic of Singapore Distinguished Service Order, 2000
- NUS Outstanding Service Award, 2003
- Tun Dr Ismail Orator, 2006
- UMC Teaching Award, 2010
- Best Tutor, 2011
- Phase V Medicine Posting Teaching Award, 2013
- Singapore Medical Association
- Academy of Medicine, Singapore
- British Medical Association
- Singapore Professional Centre
- “Navigating in the Sea of Science and Technology” (Gordon Arthur Ransome Oration delivered in August 2002). Published in “The Annals” of the Academy of Medicine, March 2003; also published in “Synapse” of the Hong Kong College of Physicians, January 2004.
- “The Inaugural Centennial Lecture: Celebrating Milestones Achieved and Pondering the Road Ahead” (Singapore-Malaysia Congress of Medicine, July 2005) – published in The Annals of the Academy of Medicine, Dec 2005, pg 660-665.
- “Translational Research” – Editorial published in The Annals of the Academy of Medicine, August 2005, pg 409-410.
- “Bioethics: The Singaporean Approach” (article published in 2006 under main title: Life Sciences: Law and Ethics – Recent Developments in Singapore).
- “Demands and Challenges of Modern Medicine” (Tun Dr Ismail Oration delivered in August 06). Published in “The Annals” of the Academy of Medicine Singapore 2007;36:698-701.
- “Metabolic Factors and Adipokine Levels of Nondiabetic First-degree Relatives of Type 2 Diabetics in an Asian Population” (Cunanan Elaine, Lim Pin, Liew Choon Fong Stanley, Lee Kok Onn, Chandran Kurumbian) – Presented at Endocrine Societey Annual Convention in June 2008, San Francisco, USA.
- Mukherjee JJ, Khoo CM, Thai AC, Chionh SB, Lim Pin, Lee KO. Type 2 diabetic patients with resistant hypertension should be screened for primary aldosteronism
- Diabetes and Vascular Disease Research 2010; 7:6-13
- Tan F, Mukherjee JJ, Lee KO, Lim P, Liew CF. “Dual Blockade of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system is safe and effective in reducing albuminuria in Asian type 2 diabetic patients with nephropathy (published in Singapore Medical Journal Vol 51, Issue 2, Feb 2010).
- “The Effect of Combining Angiotensin Receptor and ACE-Inhibitor on Proteinuria in Type-2 diabetic patients with Nephropathy (Lim Pin, Florence Tan, JJ Mukherjee) – submitting for publication.
- “Racial differences and relationships between gestational thyrotropin and free thyroxine in a multiracial Asian population” ( Loh Tze Ping, Khoo Chin Meng, Lim Pin, Sunil Kumar) – published in De Gruyter Online in October 2013 .