Dr Lionel Lum joined the Division of Infectious Diseases in 2012. He served as the chief registrar from 2013-2014, following which he exited from the advanced specialty training in May 2015. His interest lies in infectious diseases in immunocompromised hosts and tropical/travel medicine. He obtained the International Society of Travel Medicine Certificate of Knowledge in 2014 and was also awarded the Academic Medicine Development award 2016/2017 for a fellowship in infectious diseases in transplant patients in Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney.
He had spoken at various conferences, including the International Conference on Dengue and Emerging Infections in 2012 and the Singapore-Malaysia ID Meeting in 2013. In the face of Ebola outbreak in Africa in 2014, Dr Lum formed part of the NUH rapid response team for pandemic preparedness and was awarded the PS (Health) Award 2015 - Living the Values. He has also been involved in inter-divisional and interdepartmental initiatives and safety projects involving optimising sepsis management, antimicrobial use in patients at the end-of-life, as well as management of patients with bacteriospermia.
Currently a clinician educator, Dr Lum is passionate about medical education, and has been actively teaching and mentoring elementary to final year medical students as well as residents for which he had been awarded several teaching awards. Extending medical care out of institution, Dr Lum does medical mission work locally, particularly in the migrant population and overseas.
1. Elizabeth HW Tham, CH Huang, JY Soh, M Thayalasingam, Alison J Lee, Lionel HW Lum, LM Poon, David CB Lye, Louis YA Chai, Paul A Tambyah, BW Lee, Lynette PC Shek. Neutralizing Anti-Interferon-Gamma Autoantibody Levels May Not Correlate With Clinical Course of Disease. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2016 Aug 15;63(4)
2. Lionel HW Lum, Hishamuddin Badaruddin, Sharon Salmon, Jeffery Cutter, Aymeric YT Lim, Dale Fisher. Pandemic Preparedness: Nationally Led Simulation to Test Hospital Systems. Annals, Academy of Medicine Aug 2016;45(8): 332-337
3. Lionel HW Lum, FW Chen, Louise Jackett, Simone I Strasser, Rebecca J Davis. Fever and Pancytopenia in a Liver Transplant Recipient: Going against the rules of Occam’s Razor. Transplant Direct 2017 Jun 6;3(7): e169
4. KL Chew, CK Lee, GB Cross, LHW Lum, B Yan, R Jureen. Culture-confirmed cryptococcal meningitis not detected by Cryptococcus PCR on the Biofire meningitis/encephalitis panel. Clin Microbiol Infect 2018 Jul;24(7):791-792
5. LHW Lum, KK Poh, PA Tambyah. Winds of change in medical education in Singapore: what does the future hold? Singapore Med Journal 2018; Dec 59(12):614-615
6. LHW Lum, PA Tambyah. Outbreak of COVID-19- an urgent need for good science to silence our fears? Singapore Med Journal 2020;61(2):55-57
7. Lionel Lum, Andie Lee, Monica Vu, Simone Strasser, Rebecca Davis. Epidemiology and risk factors for invasive fungal disease in liver transplant recipients in a tertiary transplant center. Transplant Infect Dis 2020 Dec;22(6):e13361
8. Sophia Archuleta, Gail Cross, Jyoti Somani, Lionel Lum et al. Responding to COVID-19: how an academic infectious diseases division mobilized in Singapore. BMC Medicine 2020;18:179
9. LH Wong, MA Bin Ibrahim, H Guo, ALH Kwa, LHW Lum, TM Ng, JS Chung, J Somani, DCB Lye, A Chow. Empowerment of nurses in antibiotic stewardship: a social ecologic qualitative analysis. J Hosp Infect 2020 Sep 4;S0195-6701(20)30416-3. PMID 32896586
10. Ho V, Tay F, Wu JE, Lum L , Tambyah P. The Case for intermittent carbapenem dosing in stable haemodialysis patients. Antibiotics 2020. Nov 16;9(11):815