Dr Kuan Win Sen is Senior Consultant, Research Director and Core Faculty of the NUHS Emergency Medicine Residency Programme at the Emergency Medicine Department, National University Hospital. He is Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery and clinical senior lecturer at the NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. He obtained the Master of Clinical Investigation in 2011 from the NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
He is the department clinical champion for sepsis, pneumonia and pneumothorax. He was awarded the National Medical Excellence Team Award in 2014 for outstanding contributions in improving hospital mortality rate and achieving significant cost savings for patients with severe community-acquired pneumonia. He was a key team member that was awarded the Outstanding Poster Award for Value-driven Care in Sepsis at the VDC Conference in 2019 and the inaugural International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement (ICHOM)-NEJM Implementation Prize in 2022. For his ongoing research in sepsis, he was conferred the National Medical Research Council Transition Award (TA) in 2015 and Clinician Innovator Development Award (CIDA) in 2021.
His research interests are in sepsis, emergency critical care and respiratory diseases with over 100 publications to his name. He is an active reviewer for more than 10 journals and is the practice series adviser to the British Medical Journal Change and Uncertainties pages. His education portfolios include regular facilitation at regional and local evidence-based medicine workshops, and instructor at the Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Advanced Trauma Life Support courses.
Dr Kuan has fostered various collaborations internationally, such as The Asia, Australia, and New Zealand Dyspnea in Emergency Departments (AANZDEM) Study Group, Headache in Emergency Department (HEAD) Study Group and CellFACE project. He is keen to seek further collaborations in fields related to emergency medicine and his research interests, academically and commercially, both locally and internationally.
1. Chua MT, Ng WM, Lu Q, Low MJW, Punyadasa A, Cove ME, Yau YW, Khan FA, Kuan WS. Pre- and Apnoeic high-flow oxygenation for RApid sequence intubation in The Emergency department (Pre-AeRATE): A multicentre randomised controlled trial. Ann Acad Med Singap. 2022 Mar;51(3):149-160. (IF 5.544)
2. Zeming KK, Vernekar R, Chua MT, Quek KY, Sutton G, Krüger T, Kuan WS*, Han J*. Label-Free Biophysical Markers from Whole Blood Microfluidic Immune Profiling Reveal Severe Immune Response Signatures. Small. 2021 Mar;17(12):e2006123. (IF 14.257)
3. Ibrahim I, Kuan WS, Yau YW, Chua MT, Lin Z, Cheng L, et al. Different rate-controlling agents for the management of atrial fibrillation with rapid ventricular rate in the emergency department: a network meta-analysis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2020, Issue 6. Art. No.: CD013642. (IF 11.956)
4. Kuan WS, Ibrahim I, Chan SP, Li Z, Liew OW, Frampton C, et al. Mid-regional pro-adrenomedullin outperforms N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide for the diagnosis of acute heart failure in the presence of atrial fibrillation. Eur J Heart Fail. 2020 Apr;22(4):692-700. (IF 15.072)
5. Wang J, Leong MC, Leong EZ, Kuan WS*, Leong DT*. Clinically relevant detection of Streptococcus pneumoniae with DNA-antibody nanostructures. Anal Chem. 2017 Jun 20;89(12):6900-6906. (IF 7.528)
6. Phua J, Dean NC, Guo Q, Kuan WS, Lim HF, Lim TK. Severe community-acquired pneumonia: timely management measures in the first 24 hours. Crit Care. 2016 Aug 28;20(1):237. (IF 14.083)
7. Ibrahim I, Kuan WS, Frampton C, Troughton C, Liew OW, Chong JPC, et al. Superior performance of NT-proBNP for diagnosis of Acute Decompensated Heart Failure in an Asian compared with a Western setting. Eur J Heart Fail. 2017 Feb;19(2):209-217. (IF 15.072)
8. Kuan WS, Ibrahim I, Leong BS, Jain S, Lu Q, Cheung YB, Mahadevan M. Emergency Department Management of Sepsis Patients: A Randomized, Goal-Oriented, Noninvasive Sepsis Trial. Ann Emerg Med. 2016 Mar;67(3):367-378.e3. (IF 6.805)
9. Giovanni M, Setyawati MI, Tay CY, Hang Q, Kuan WS*, Leong DT*. Electrochemical Quantification of Escherichia coli with DNA Nanostructure. Adv Funct Mater. 2015 Jul;25(25):3840-3846. (IF 19.978)
10. Lim HF, Phua J, Mukhopadhay A, Ngerng WJ, Chew MY, Sim TB, Kuan WS, Mahadevan M, Lim TK. IDSA/ATS minor criteria aided pre-ICU resuscitation in severe community-acquired pneumonia. Eur Resp J. 2014 Mar;43(3):852-62. (IF 23.144)