Dr Soong is a Consultant within the Division of Advanced Internal Medicine, and an Assistant Professor within the NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. He is an accredited specialist in Internal Medicine and Intensive Care Medicine. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh and the Academy of Medicine Singapore. His clinical interests include Critical Care and Perioperative Medicine, Acute Medical Units and Point-of-Care Ultrasonography. His research interests include Health Services evaluation of novel models of acute care, methods to maximize the clinical utility of large data and biomarkers for acute care. Having completed his undergraduate training at the University of Sheffield (UK), he completed his specialist training in the specialties of Acute Medicine, General Internal Medicine and the Intensive Care Medicine in London, UK. He was formerly a consultant physician at Guys' and St Thomas' Hospital, London, UK before being appointed at NUH, Singapore. He has completed a PhD at Imperial College London.
1. Soong JTY. Frailty measurement in routinely collected data: challenges and benefits. Lancet Healthy Longevity 2021; 2(3):E117-E118
2. Brunner-La Rocca H-P, Peden CJ, Soong J, Holman PA, Bogdanovskaya M, Barclay L (2020) Reasons for readmission after hospital discharge in patients with chronic diseases—Information from an international dataset. PLoS ONE 15(6): e0233457.
3. Soong JTY, Rolph G, Poots AJ, Bell D. Validating a methodology to measure frailty syndromes at hospital level utilising administrative data. Clin Med 2020;20:183–8
4. Soong JTY, Kaubryte J, Liew D, et al. Dr Foster global frailty score: an international retrospective observational study developing and validating a risk prediction model for hospitalised older persons from administrative data sets. BMJ Open 2019;9:e026759. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026759
5. Soong JTY, Bell D, Poots AJ. The challenges of using the Hospital Frailty Risk Score. Lancet 2018; 392(10165):2692
6. van Galen LS, Brabrand M, Cooksley T, van de Ven PM, Merten H, So RK, Soong JTY et al. Patients’ and providers’ perceptions of the preventability of hospital readmission: a prospective, observational study in four European countries. BMJ Quality & Safety. 2017;26:958-969
7. van Galen LS, Cooksley T, Merten H, Brabrand M, Terwee CB, Soong J et al. Physician consensus on preventability and predictability of readmissions based on standard case scenarios. Neth J Med. 2016;74(10):434-42.
8. Soong JTY, Poots AJ, Bell D. Finding consensus on frailty assessment in acute care through Delphi method. BMJ Open. 2016;6(10):e012904.
9. Soong J, Poots AJ, Scott S, Donald K, Woodcock T, Lovett D, Bell D Quantifying the prevalence of frailty in English Hospitals. BMJ Open 2015;5:e008456 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008456.
10. Soong J, Poots AJ, Scott S, Donald K, Bell D. Developing and validating a risk prediction model for acute care based on frailty syndromes. BMJ Open 2015;5:e008457 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008457.