Asst Prof Benjamin Goh graduated from Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS in 2008. He received a scholarship towards membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2010. Asst Prof Goh completed his Urology Advanced Surgical Training in 2016 and was awarded the Gold medal in the specialist examination.
Asst Prof Goh was awarded the Ministry of Health Human Manpower Development Plan (HMDP) scholarship in 2018 and had spent a year in the United Kingdom for his subspecialty training in Robotic Kidney Surgery and Kidney Transplantation at the Royal Free Hospital, London. His current practice at the National University Hospital includes all areas of general urology with special interest in Kidney Minimally Invasive Surgeries, Endo-urology, Robotic and Kidney Uro-oncology surgery.
Asst Prof Goh is the Medical Undergraduate Director of Department of Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS. He participates actively in undergraduate and postgraduate education, applying different educational pedagogy and rationalises curriculum. He is passionate about educating the next generation of doctors and has won multiple awards for undergraduate medical education.
Asst Prof Goh has an interest in translational research, collaborating with Molecular Diagnostic Centre in testing DNA polymorphism in donor-recipient pairs undergoing kidney transplantation. There is also ongoing collaboration with Biomedical Engineering Department for microfluidic enrichment of urine towards improved bladder cancer detection. The team has obtained multiple grants to carry out the translational research.
1. Goh YS, Wu MW, Tai BC, Lee KC, Raman L, Teo BW, Vathsala A, Tiong HY. Comparison of creatinine-based and kidney volume based methods of estimating glomerular filtration rates in potential living kidney donors. J Urol. 2013 Nov;190(5):1820-6. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2013.05.117. Epub 2013 Jun 11.
2. Goh YS, Cheong PS, Lata R, Goh A, Vathsala A, Li MK, Tiong HY. A necessary step toward kidney donor safety: the transition from locking polymer clips to transfixion techniques in laparoscopic donor nephrectomy. Transplant Proc. 2014;46(2):310-3. doi: 10.1016/j.transproceed.2013.11.120.
3. Wu FM, Tay MH, Tai BC, Chen Z, Tan L, Goh BY, Raman L, Tiong HY. Preoperative Renal Volume: A Surrogate Measure for Radical Nephrectomy-Induced Chronic Kidney Disease. J Endourol. 2015 Dec;29(12):1406-11. doi: 10.1089/end.2015.0318. Epub 2015 Sep 9.
4. Chen KW, Wu MW, Chen Z, Tai BC, Goh YS, Lata R, Vathsala A, Tiong HY. Compensatory Hypertrophy After Living Donor Nephrectomy. Transplant Proc. 2016 Apr;48(3):716-9
5. Goh YS, Deng ZL, Cheong PS, Lata R, Goh TH, Vathsala A, Tiong HY. Screening for Asymptomatic Bacteruria at One Month after Adult Kidney Transplantation: Clinical Factors and Implications. Clin Transplant. 2017 Mar 10
6. Tay WK, Kesavan A, Goh YSB, Tiong HY. Right Living Donor Nephrectomies: Retroperitoneoscopic vs Laparoscopic Transperitoneal Approach.Transplant Proc. 2018 Oct;50(8):2333-2337. Epub 2018 Mar 15.PMID: 30316353
7. Pek GXW, Ngoh CLY, Teo BW, Vathsala A, Goh BYS, Yong CHR, Raman L, Tiong HY.
Visceral obesity in Asian living kidney donors significantly impacts early renal function after donor nephrectomy World J Urol. 2019 Oct;37(10):2231-2236. doi: 10.1007/s00345-018-2566-2. Epub 2018 Nov 19 PMID: 30456710
8. Khoo BL, Bouquerel C, Durai P, Anil S, Goh B, Wu B, Raman L, Mahendran R, Thamboo T, Chiong E, Lim CT. Detection of Clinical Mesenchymal Cancer Cells from Bladder Wash Urine for Real-Time Detection and Prognosis Cancers (Basel). 2019 Aug 30;11(9):1274. doi: 10.3390/cancers11091274 PMID: 31480265
9. Tiong HY, Goh BYS, Chiong E, Tan LGL, Vathsala A.
Robotic kidney autotransplantation in a porcine model: a procedure-specific training platform for the simulation of robotic intracorporeal vascular anastomosis. J Robot Surg. 2018 Dec;12(4):693-698. doi: 10.1007/s11701-018-0806-5. Epub 2018 Mar 31.PMID: 29605864
10. Lee SH, Mahendran R, Tham SM, Thamboo TP, Chionh BJ, Lim YX, Tsang WC, Wu QH, Chia JY, Tay MHW, Goh BYS, Chen KW, Mallari JZ, Periaswami R, Raman L, Choo SN, Kioh DYQ, Chiong E, Esuvaranathan K, Chan ECY. Tryptophan-kynurenine ratio as a biomarker of bladder cancer. BJU Int. 2020 Aug 13. doi: 10.1111/bju.15205