Dr Chan Hwei Wuen is a Senior Consultant and Ophthalmic Surgeon at the Department of Ophthalmology, National University Hospital (NUH) and Alexandra Hospital. Dr Chan serves as Program Director of the Ophthalmology Residency Program, National University Health Systems. She holds a joint appointment on the National University of Singapore (NUS) Clinical Faculty Scheme as an Assistant Professor in Ophthalmology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
Dr Chan received formal medical training at the University College London (UCL) and her first exposure to Ophthalmology was during her time at Moorfields Eye Hospital as an undergraduate, which fuelled her interest to pursue a career in this specialty. She completed residency training in Ophthalmology at the NUH and served as the Chief Resident. She was and remains actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and was awarded the NUS MedSoc Outstanding Tutor Award and NUS Special Recognition Award for undergraduate medical teaching.
Upon completion of local fellowship training in Medical Retina and Vitreoretinal Surgery, as well as Visual Electrophysiology with Prof Graham Holder, Dr Chan pursued advanced subspecialty training in the UK and Belgium as a recipient of the MOH Health Manpower Development Plan (HMDP) fellowship award. During her time at Moorfields Eye Hospital, she was trained in paediatric and adult Ophthalmic Genetics under Prof Andrew Webster, Prof Michel Michaelides, Prof Mariya Moosajee and Prof Omar Mahroo. Her time at the Ghent University Hospital, Belgium was spent under the tutelage of Prof Bart Leroy in Ophthalmic Genetics where she was involved in several gene therapy clinical trials including Luxturna for the treatment of biallelic mutation in RPE65 mutation-related inherited retinal dystrophy and Sepofarsen for CEP290-associated Leber Congenital Amaurosis.
Dr Chan is a specialist in both medical and surgical retina with a special interest in Inherited Retinal Diseases (IRD) and Ophthalmic Genetics. She currently leads a dedicated IRD service at NUH for local and international patients. Her main research areas include phenotype-genotype correlation studies in IRD with a special interest in ABCA4-related retinopathy for which she was awarded the NMRC Clinician Scientist Individual Research Grant New Investigator Grant (CS-IRG-NIG) and RNA-based therapeutics. Dr Chan is a founding member of the EURETINA IRD & Paediatric Retina Subspecialty Group and the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (UK). Aside from her sub-specialty interests, Dr Chan also has a keen interest in complex cataract surgery.
1. Seah I, Goh D, Chan HW, Su X. Developing Non-Human Primate Models of Inherited Retinal Diseases. Genes (Basel). 2022 Feb 14;13(2):344. doi: 10.3390/genes13020344. PMID: 35205388.
2. Tanner A, Chan HW, Stears A, Moosajee M. Bilateral macular drusen in acquired partial lipodystrophy with type 2 membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis. BMJ Case Rep. 2021 Jun 21;14(6):e241666. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2021-241666. PMID: 34155011
3. Tan TE, Chan HW, Singh M, Wong TY, Pulido JS, Michaelides M, Sohn EH, Ting D. Artificial intelligence for diagnosis of inherited retinal disease: an exciting opportunity and one step forward. Br J Ophthalmol. 2021 May 24:bjophthalmol-2021-319365. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2021-319365. PMID: 34031045
4. Chan HW, Tailor VK, Malka S, Schiff E, Neveu MM, Theodorou M, Moosajee M. Prospective study of the phenotypic and mutational spectrum of ocular albinism and oculocutaneous albinism. Genes (Basel). 2021 Mar 30;12(4):508. doi: 10.3390/genes12040508. PMID: 33808351
5. Schiff ER, Tailor VK, Chan HW, Theodorou M, Webster AR, Moosajee M. Novel Biallelic Variants and Phenotypic Features in Patients with SLC38A8-Related Foveal Hypoplasia. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Jan 24;22(3):1130. doi: 10.3390/ijms22031130. PMID: 33498813.
6. Tanner A*, Chan HW*, Pulido JS, Arno G, Ba-Abbad R, Jurkute N, Robson AG, Egan CA, Knight H, Calcagni A, Taylor RL, Lenassi E, Black GC, Moore AT, Michaelides M, WebsterAR, Mahroo OA, Clinical and genetic findings in CTNNA1-associated macular pattern dystrophy, Ophthalmology (2020), doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2020.10.032. (*co-first author). PMID: 33137351
7. Chan HW, Yang B, Wong W, Blakeley P, Seah I, Tan QSW, Wang H, Bhargava M, Lin HA, Chai CH, Mangunkusumo EA, Thet N, Yuen YS, Sethi R, Wang S, Hunziker W, Lingam G, Su X. A Pilot Study on MicroRNA Profile in Tear Fluid to Predict Response to Anti-VEGF Treatments for Diabetic Macular Edema. J Clin Med. 2020 Sep 10;9(9):2920. doi: 10.3390/jcm9092920. PMID: 32927780; PMCID: PMC7564365.
8. DK Lim*, HW Chan*, C Zheng, MC Aquino, WL Wong, R Ritch, PTK Chew. Quantitative assessment of changes in anterior segment morphology after argon laser peripheral iridoplasty: findings from the EARL Study Group. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2019 Jan;47(1):33-40. PMID: 30098125 (*co-first authors)