Dr Sok Yan Tay, Annabelle graduated with Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery from the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2007. As a medical student, she was awarded the Jane Prize in Paediatrics in 2006. She completed her residency in Otolaryngology and was accredited as a Specialist in Otorhinolaryngology (ENT) by the Singapore Medical Council and Specialist Accreditation Board in 2014. Following the completion of the surgical specialty examinations, she was admitted as a fellow to the Royal College Of Surgeons, Glasgow in 2010.
Dr Tay completed her USMLE exams (Step 1 to Step 3) and received ECFMG certification in 2015. She was awarded an Academic Medicine Development Award (AMDA) in 2015 for a Paediatric Otolaryngology Fellowship and spent a year (2016-2017) in the renowned Texas Children’s Hospital in the United States of America as a clinical fellow in their American ENT Board Accredited Paediatric Otolaryngology Fellowship Program.
She is trained in both routine and complex surgical procedures specializing in paediatric ear problems and hearing loss - such as cochlear implants, bone anchored hearing aids, ossicular chain reconstruction, tympanomastoidectomy, endoscopic ear surgery, otoplasty and auricular reconstruction surgery. She has been trained to perform both open and endoscopic airway reconstruction surgery (Laryngotracheal reconstruction) for children with congenital and acquired airway stenosis and disease. She also manages paediatric snoring issues, sinus and allergy disease, voice problems, dysphagia, salivation problems (Sialorrhea) and paediatric head and neck tumours.
Dr Tay joined the faculty in 2014. In 2015, she led the Paediatric ENT residency teaching program. She enjoys teaching and has mentored multiple medical students and residents. She has published consistently in peer-reviewed scientific journals and had presented her research in both regional and international meetings. She enjoys working on quality improvements projects to improve the care her patients receive. At the moment, she is actively involved in paediatric tracheostomy care quality improvement in National University Hospital.
1. Tay SY, Chao SS, Mark KT, Wang Y. Comparison of the distribution of intranasal steroid spray using different application techniques. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2016 Nov;6(11):1204-1210. doi: 10.1002/alr.21807. Epub 2016 Jun 17. PMID: 27315490
2. Tay SY, Balakrishnan A. Laryngeal inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor (IMT): a case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Rep. 2016 Jun 23;10(1):180. doi: 10.1186/s13256-016-0967-7. PMID: 2733945533.
3. Tay SY, Loh WS, Lim TC. A Case Report of Absent Epiglottis in Children With Nager Syndrome: Its Impact on Swallowing. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2017 Nov;54(6):754-757. doi: 10.1597/15-315. Epub 2016 Oct 10. PMID: 27723379
4. Tan B, Tay SY, Shermin L, Teck KC, Yoke PC, Goh C, Balakrishnan A. Corrigendum to "malignant transformation of keratocystic odontogenic tumor: Two case reports" [American journal of otolaryngology 34 (2013) 357-361]. Am J Otolaryngol. 2017 May-Jun;38(3):369. doi: 10.1016/j.amjoto.2017.03.002. Epub 2017 Mar 21. PMID: 28341089
5. Lim YC, Tay SY. Case 4: Hemoptysis in a 17-year-old Chinese Boy. Pediatr Rev. 2017 Dec;38(12):570-571. doi: 10.1542/pir.2016-0161. PMID: 29196515
6. Tay SY, Krishnasarma R, Mehta D, Mehollin-Ray A, Chandy B. Predictive Factors for Perinatal Outcomes of Infants Diagnosed With Micrognathia Antenatally. Ear Nose Throat J. 2021 Jan;100(1):NP16-NP20. doi: 10.1177/0145561319855641. Epub 2019 Jun 3. PMID: 31159574
7. Tay SY, Anicete R, Tan KKH. A Ten-Year Review of Audiological Performance in Children with Inner Ear Abnormalities after Cochlear Implantation in Singapore. Int J Otolaryngol. 2019 Dec 1;2019:6483714. doi: 10.1155/2019/6483714. eCollection 2019. PMID: 31885597
8. Wu B, Tay SY, Petersson F. Cervical Myxoid Solitary Fibrous Tumor: Report of an Unusual Variant and a Brief Overview of the Literature. Head Neck Pathol. 2020 Sep;14(3):852-858. doi: 10.1007/s12105-019-01107-0. Epub 2019 Dec 3. PMID: 3179730
9. Odoño EIG, Tan KB, Tay SY, Lee VKM. Cutaneous "fibroma-like" perivascular epithelioid cell tumor: A case report and review of literature. J Cutan Pathol. 2020 Jun;47(6):548-553. doi: 10.1111/cup.13647. Epub 2020 Jan 27. PMID: 31943330
10. Tay SY, Foster J, Heczey A, Sitton M. Pediatric Oncology Patients With Vincristine-Induced Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve Palsy: Two Case Reports and a Brief Review of Literature. Ear Nose Throat J. 2020 May 19:145561320924868. doi: 10.1177/0145561320924868. Online ahead of print. PMID: 3242506