Our History till Today
Maternal and childhood healthcare were poorly developed in Singapore till the early years of the 1900s. A dedicated physician for children was only appointed in the 1920s and it was only in 1932 that a separate ward for sick children in the country was created at the Singapore General Hospital (SGH). Prior to that, children who were admitted to hospital – most critically ill children died before even reaching – were cared for in the same ward as adults. Click here to view the article on the history of paediatrics in Singapore.
In the early post World War two years, Mr NR Mistri donated $1 million to SGH and in 1955 the Mistri Wing for children was constructed. This was a 4-storey building made up of eight wards. The Medical School of the University of Singapore was located at the SGH campus and in 1962 the University Department of Paediatrics was set up. Professor Wong Hock Boon was appointed the first Founding Professor of Paediatrics at the then University of Singapore. The clinical, teaching and research activities of the department were mostly conducted at the Mistri Wing wards of SGH.
Video courtesy of The SGH Museum
The University of Singapore was renamed the National University of Singapore (NUS) in 1980 after merging with Nanyang University. The NUS Campus was at Kent Ridge, in the west of Singapore. The National University Hospital (NUH) was constructed at one end of Kent Ridge and located together with the medical school.
In 1985, the Medical School of NUS and consequently the Department of Paediatrics moved from its location at the SGH campus to join the rest of the University and NUH at Kent Ridge. It has remained that very location till this day.
In 2005, the Medical School of NUS was renamed the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (YLL-SoM).
In 2008, YLL-SoM, NUH and the NUS Faculty of Dentistry came together under the governance of the National University Health System (NUHS).
In 2010, the Department of Paediatrics was renamed the Khoo Teck Puat-National University Children's Medical Institute (KTP-NUCMI) in recognition of the generous donation from the trustees of the estate of the late Tan Sri Khoo Teck Puat to support the advancement of paediatric education, research and patient care.