About the condition
Gallbladder cancer is a cancer that begins in the tissues of the gallbladder. Most gallbladder cancer begins in the cells that line the inner surface of the gallbladder. There are several types of gallbladder cancer. The most common type is adenocarcinoma which starts from the gland cell of the gallbladder lining.
Causes of the condition
The causes are unknown but there are several known factors that contribute to the condition:
- Presence of gallstones or gallbladder polyps
- Congenital abnormal bile ducts
- Exposure to particular industrial chemicals used in metal or rubber industry
- Porcelain gallbladder (calcium formed in the wall of gallbladder)
Signs & Symptoms
- Abdominal pain especially at the upper right portion of the abdomen
- Abdominal bloating
- Loss of appetite
- Unexplained weight loss
- Yellowing of skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice)
Diagnosis and Treatment Options
Test and Diagnosis
Blood tests and procedures are performed to create the images of the gallbladder.
Exploratory surgery and tests are performed to stage the gallbladder cancer.
The type of treatment will be determined based on the cancer stage, cancer type, and patient’s general health. Surgery is the main treatment type for gallbladder cancer.
Cholecystectomy surgery is performed to remove the gallbladder and some tissues around it.