About the condition
Breast cysts are fluid-filled sacs that grow inside the breast. You may have one or many breast cysts at a time. The cysts are commonly felt as a lump and can enlarge.
Causes of the condition
Cysts develop when an overgrowth of glands and connective tissue (fibrocystic changes) block milk ducts, causing them to dilate and fill with fluid.
Signs & Symptoms
- Breast pain or tenderness around the lump area
- Smooth easily movable round or oval breast lump with distinct edges
- Increased lump size and tenderness prior to menstruation
- Decreased lump size and resolution of other signs and symptoms after menstruation.
Diagnosis and Treatment Options
Test and diagnosis
- Clinical breast examination
- Breast ultrasound
Fluid can be extracted when the cyst become too large and no further treatment is required.