Prof Wong Tien Yin currently holds the position of Professor, National University of Singapore; Director of the Singapore Eye Research Institute, and Senior Consultant at the National University Hospital and Singapore National Eye Centre. He is also the Chief of Ophthalmology Department, National Hospital and holds a concurrent Professorship at the University of Melbourne.
Prof Wong heads the Medical Retina service at National University Hospital. He balances clinical work focused on retinal and macular diseases, including diabetic retinopathy and age-related macular degeneration, and a broad-based research program concentrating on the epidemiology and clinical trials on retinal vascular disease.
Prof Wong completed medical school from the National University of Singapore, clinical ophthalmology training at the Singapore National Eye Centre, and obtained his PhD from the Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, Baltimore, USA. He completed post-doctoral research fellowships at the Johns Hopkins University and the University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA and a clinical medical retinal fellowship at the Westmead Hospital, University of Sydney. He holds honorary fellowships from the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO)
Research areas include diabetic and hypertensive retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, retinal vein occlusion and the use of ocular imaging technologies to predict cardiovascular risk. He has published more than 500 peer-reviewed papers and given more than 150 invited plenary, symposium and named lectures around the world. He is the Principal Investigator of multi-center projects in the US, Australia and Singapore and have received more than US$20 million in peer-reviewed grant funding.
Prof Wong is the Executive Editor of the American Journal of Ophthalmology, and on Editorial Board of three other journals, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences (2005-present), Ophthalmic Epidemiology (2006-present), and the leading clinical diabetes journal, Diabetes Care (2009-present), having completed a 5-year term on the Editorial Board of the British Journal of Ophthalmology (2000-2005), which he joined at the age of 32 years.
For his research, Prof Wong has been recognised nationally and internationally with numerous awards. He has been recognised as the top researcher in any field from two leading Universities in consecutive years: the Outstanding Researcher Award from the National University of Singapore in 2004 and the Woodward Medal from the University of Melbourne in 2005. In 2010, he was awarded the National Clinician Scientist Award in Singapore and the President's Science Award.
- Wong TY, Klein R, Couper DJ, et al. Retinal microvascular abnormalities and incident clinical strokes. Lancet 2001; 358:1134-40 (IF: 30.6)
- Wong TY, Klein R, Sharrett AR, et al. Retinal arteriolar narrowing and risk of diabetes in middle-aged persons. JAMA 2002; 287:2528-33 (IF: 25.5)
- Wong TY, Klein R, Sharrett AR, et al. Retinal arteriolar narrowing and incident coronary heart disease in men and women. JAMA 2002; 287:1153-9 (IF: 25.5)
- Wong TY, Mitchell P. Hypertensive retinopathy. New England Journal Medicine 2004; 351:2310-7 (IF: 52.6)
- Wong TY, Klein R, Sun C, et al. Age-related macular degeneration and risk for stroke. Annals of Internal Medicine 2006;145:98-106 (IF: 15.5)
- Gillies MC, Wong TY. Ranibizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. New England Journal Medicine 2007; 356:748-9 (IF: 52.6)
- Wong TY, Mitchell P. The eye in hypertension. Lancet 2007; 369:425-35 (IF: 30.6)
- Wong TY, Liew G, Mitchell P. Clinical update: New treatments for age-related macular degeneration. Lancet 2007; 370:204-206 (IF: 30.6)
- Mohamed Q, Gillies MC, Wong TY. Management of diabetic retinopathy: a systematic review. JAMA 2007; 298:902-916 (IF: 25.5)
- Wong TY, Liew G, Tapp R, et al. Relation of fasting glucose and retinopathy for diagnosis of diabetes: three population-based cross-sectional studies. Lancet 2008; 371: 736-743. (IF: 30.6)
- Cheung N, Mitchell P, Wong TY. Diabetic retinopathy. Lancet. 2010;376(9735):124-36 (IF: 30.6)
- Wong TY, Scott IU. Retinal vein occlusion. New England Journal Medicine 2010:25;363:2135-44 (IF: 52.6)