Deputy Director, National University Heart Centre, Singapore
Senior Consultant, Department of Cardiac, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery
Chair, University Surgical Cluster, NUH
Professor / Head, Department of Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS
Professor Lee Chuen Neng is the founder of the Department of Cardiac, Thoracic & Vascular Surgery, a Professor at the National University of Singapore (NUS) and was appointed as the Director of The Heart Institute, National Healthcare Group (NHG). He had held various appointments including President of the Cardiac Society on three occasions, President of the International Chinese Heart Health Network, Council member of the Asian Federation of Cardiology, Vice Chairman of the Singapore Heart Association. He was the Chairman of the Specialist Training Committee for Cardiothoracic Surgery and a Founding Executive Council Member of the Asian Society for Cardiovascular Surgery since 1993, becoming the President of the Asian Society for Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery (ASCVTS) in 2009.
Prof Lee Chuen Neng graduated from the University of Singapore in 1975. He completed his general surgery training at the University Department of Surgery, Singapore General Hospital and served as a Lecturer in general surgery before going on to cardiothoracic surgery training from 1982. He was trained at the Mayo Clinic from 1983 to 1985 and returned in 1985 to set up the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the National University Hospital, becoming an Associate Professor and Head in the process. He left for private practice in 1992 and was asked to return to the National University of Singapore and the National University Hospital at the end of 2001.
He is an elected fellow of:
- American Association for Thoracic Surgery
- European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons, USA
- American College of Cardiology
He is a Founding Editor of the Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals and currently served on the Reviewer Board.
He is an Examiner to the MMed Surgery (Singapore), FRCS (Edinburgh), Hong Kong College of Surgeons and Bangladesh College of Physicians and Surgeons, Pakistan College of Surgeons and Physicians. He was also a Visiting Professor to the Beijing Medical University. He has 61 publications in international as well as regional journals. He was appointed as Head of Department of Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS on 1 October 2005 and Chair of University Surgical Cluster, National University Health System for 2008.
His special interest is in coronary artery and valve surgery.
- Coronary Artery Surgery
- Valve Surgery
Specialises in Diseases and Conditions:
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Heart Failure
1. Intra-atrial embolus trapped in patent foramen ovale before systemic embolization. Ooi OC, Woitek F, Chiew Wong RC, Lee CN, Klima U, Kofidis T. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009 Mar 24.
2. Off-pump coronary bypass grafting is safe and efficient in patients with left main disease and higher EuroScore. Thomas GN, Martinez EC, Woitek F, Emmert MY, Sakaguchi H, Muecke S, Lee CN, Kofidis T. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2009 Jun 10.
3. Identification of fibrillin-1 gene mutations in Marfan syndrome by high-resolution melting analysis. Hung CC, Lin SY, Lee CN, Cheng HY, Lin CY, Chang CH, Chiu HH, Yu CC, Lin SP, Cheng WF, Ho HN, Niu DM, Su YN. Anal Biochem. 2009 Jun 15;389(2):102-6. Epub 2009 Mar 27.
4. Development of cell-selective films for layered co-culturing of vascular progenitor cells. Chong MS, Chan J, Choolani M, Lee CN, Teoh SH. Biomaterials. 2009 Apr;30(12):2241-51. Epub 2009 Feb 6.