Assistant Professor, NUS
Clinical Director of the Gastro Motility Lab
Undergraduate Education Director
Adjunct Assistant Professor (University of North Carolina)
Dr Reuben Wong is a Consultant in the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, National University Hospital (NUH), and an Assistant Professor at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS).
He obtained his MBBS from NUS, and attained his MRCP (UK) in 2004. In 2008, Dr Wong became a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore. He pursued his sub-specialty training at the University of North Carolina (UNC) Center for Functional Gastrointestinal Diseases under the mentorship of Professors Douglas Drossman and William Whitehead. Dr Wong remains an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine at UNC, in recognition of grants secured and continuing collaborations.
As a sub-specialist in Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders, Dr Wong helms the Functional Gastroenterology Clinic and pioneered the first Gastroenterology-Psychology multi-disciplinary service locally. Following his training at UNC, Dr Wong, who is also Clinical Director of the Gastrointestinal Motility Laboratory, was the first to introduce High Resolution Manometry in Singapore. This laboratory has since established itself as a referral centre and regional training hub.
Dr Wong has research interests and publications over a wide range of subjects, but his forte remains in the realm of gastrointestinal motility, neuro-gastroenterology and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), which he actively pursues. Dr Wong also has a special interest and does research in the field of colorectal cancer screening, health systems improvement and physician accessibility. In recognition of his achievements, he has received several accolades, including three Young Investigator Awards and the National Leadership in Academic Medicine Award.
Dr Wong is also actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education through both teaching and education-based research, and he is the Director for Undergraduate Education in the Department of Gastroenterology. His passion for public outreach sees him serving as President of the IBS Support Group of Singapore. Dr Wong is also a member of the National Colorectal Cancer screening committee. On the volunteer front, he also serves on the committee for the St Andrew's Home for the Aged and as Vice-President of the St Andrew's Cathedral Servers' Guild.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Colonic motility disorders
- Esophageal motility disorders, Reflux Disease
- Neurogastroenterology & Motility
- General Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Functional Gastroenterology Disorders (IBS, Reflux etc)
- Colorectal cancer and screening
- Gastroenterology education and physician accessibility
Awards and honours
- Young Investigator's Award (Gold) in Clinical Research - NHG Annual Scientific Congress
- National Leadership in Academic Medicine Award (NLAM)
- Health Manpower Development Plan Award
- Young Investigator's Award - 6th Asia Pacific Digestive Week
- Young Investigator's Award (2nd prize) - 15th Asia Pacific Association for Study of the Liver
- Posters of Distinction (3 posters awarded) - GESS Annual Scientific Meeting
- National Service Excellence Award EXSA (Gold)
- Singapore Medical Association and Medical Society Excellence Award (Community Service)